Some design rules that can apply in lots of places
- Make important things big and unimportant things small or remove them.
- Keep removing unnecessary stuff until you’ve got a simpler message.
- Group things together that are related.
- If something needs to stand out from the rest, make it different somehow.
- Pick a typeface that’s appropriate for the task at hand. If you don’t know how to do that, then choose an undecorated sans-serif. If you don’t know what that is, use Helvetica.
- Group things in categories.
- Put space around things that need to be apart from the rest
I think I’ll keep adding to this. They seem like good principles.
November 1 2011, 10:27 PM by David Parry