Expect this list to change with time! One of the fun things about putting this together is that while I do like and drink a very wide range of beer, the number of beers that have stayed with me down the years and cemented themselves as favourites is much smaller, and does not encompass every style. These favourite beers span different chapters of my life, different sides of the Atlantic, real ale to craft beer. What they do have in common is they all have stories to tell and conjure up when I drink or think of them. Cheers!
- BITTER: Young's Ordinary
- MILD: West Berkshire's Magg's Magnificent Mild, Brain's Dark
- STOUT AND PORTER: The Kernel's Export India Porter, Crafty Devil's Safe as Milk, Siren Craft's Broken Dreams, Deschutes' Black Butte Porter, Heretic's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, *Mill Street's Coffee Porter, *Dark Star's Espresso Stout
- OLD ALE AND BARLEYWINE: Fuller's Vintage Ale, Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot
- IPA: Stone IPA, Lagunitas IPA, *Deschutes' Chainbreaker White IPA
- PALE ALE: Crafty Devil's Mikey Rayer, Sierra Nevada's Pale
- BLONDE/GOLDEN ALE: Hopback Brewery's Crop Circle
- LAGER: Moonlight's Death and Taxes Schwarzbier, Cobra, Ichnusa
- SOUR BEER: A.N.Other Berliner Weisse (straight-up, no fruited versions please!)
- “SPACER” BEER <0.5% ABV: Drop Bear's Stout, Thornbridge's Zero Five, Sam Smith's Brown Ale, Mikkeller's Henry and his Science, *Tiny Rebel/Big Drop's Imperial Mocha Vanilla Shot Stout
*No longer brewed (either discontinued or a one-off brew)
List first compiled 2021-04-05, posted to Write.as 2022-02-05, last updated 2022-02-05.